If you’ve upgraded to Windows 11, you’ll find that Microsoft Edge is your default browser. This is very important as it is the default browser that opens when you click a link in another application such as email, Windows search box, or instant messenger.
Avoid the surprise of seeing another browser instead of Chrome when you click a link by following this post. Here I will help you learn How to set Chrome as the default browser in Windows 11 PC & Laptop. First, let’s know why using Chrome instead of Edge might be a better option for you.
- 1 Why is Chrome a better browser for your Windows 11 PC?
- 2 Install Google Chrome on Windows 11
- 3 2 ways to set Chrome as the default browser in Windows 11
- 4 Summary
Why is Chrome a better browser for your Windows 11 PC?
The Google Chrome browser released in 2008 is currently the most widely installed web browser. This is not a mistake or luck. Google Chrome is a fast web browser, and among other benefits, it lets you drag tabs to other windows. It’s also very simple and easy to use.
First, why do you even need a standard web browser? The default web browser is the app that runs automatically when you click on a web page, link, or document.
For example, Windows 11 includes Microsoft Edge as the default browser. If you use these browsers with normal usage, you could lose a minute or two of valuable time due to the loading time delay. Perhaps Microsoft is cautiously restructuring its browser as part of the Chromium project and is competing fiercely with Google Chrome.
However, features like Google account password and bookmark syncing, extension support, and pre-release cross-device still choose Chrome # 1 over its competitors. To continue browsing Chrome, you’ll need to change your default browser setting to Chrome.
Before we go any further, the first thing you need to do is to install the Google Chrome browser on your Windows 11 computer.
Install Google Chrome on Windows 11
- First open Microsoft Edge or another browser, if one is available via the “Start menu” on your Windows 11 PC.
- To download Chrome, go to google.com/chrome and tap the ‘download Chrome‘Button on the website.
- Edge is now loading the ChromeSetup.exe File on your PC or laptop.
- Next you will see a download banner, when the download is complete select the ‘open file‘Option from the banner field that will take you to the directory in File Explorer where the file will be downloaded.
- Finally, double click on the downloaded file to install Google Chrome and after that just follow the on-screen instructions and you are done!
2 ways to set Chrome as the default browser in Windows 11
After you’ve successfully installed Chrome on your PC, there are two methods you can use to make Chrome your default browser. The first method you can do is through your Chrome Settings app and the other is through Windows 11 Settings. Let’s look at both of them.
Method 1. Set the default Chrome browser in Windows 11 using the Chrome settings
Google’s Chrome browser offers you a convenient solution. All you have to do is go to the settings and make it your default browser. This is how to do it:
- To set Chrome as the default browser in Windows 11, first open Chrome by clicking the ‘chrome‘Icon in the start menu, in the Windows taskbar or on your desktop.
- Then tap the (three vertical points) Menu in the top right corner of your screen.
- Then look for the ‘the settings‘from the overflow menu and tap on it.
- Now tap on the ‘default browser‘Option in the left pane of the Chrome window.
- Tap the ‘Make standard‘Button present on screen.
- After clicking the “Set as Default” button in Chrome, your “Default Apps” window will open in System Preferences.
- Now you can either set Chrome as the default file / link type option or go to the Chrome app menu to set it as the default for all supported file types.
That’s it, Google Chrome was set as the default browser on Windows 11.
Method 2. Set the default Chrome browser in Windows 11 using Windows Settings
Windows 11 makes it easy to change the default applications by centralizing the default applications in one place. Once you know where to go, it becomes as easy as possible.
To make Chrome the default browser in Windows 11 using the Windows Settings app, do the following:
- To get started, first tap the ‘Start menu‘and go to the’the settings‘App available in the menu.
- Alternatively, you can also use Windows + me Shortcut from your keyboard directly to launch the Settings app.
- Now tap on the ‘Apps‘Option in the left pane of the settings screen.
- Next, select the ‘Standard apps‘Option in the’ Apps’ settings screen.
- Now you have 2 options in front of you. You can choose Chrome as the default app by looking for a specific file type, or you can search for the Chrome app and choose the file types that you want to open by default on the next screen.
Here’s how you can set or set the default Chrome browser in Windows 11 PC and laptop. To do this, you need to have Google Chrome installed on your Windows 11 computer, and then you have two options to set Google Chrome as the default browser on your computer. You can use either the Chrome settings or the Windows 11 settings. Both methods are pretty simple and easy. Last! Enjoy Windows 11! 😊
- How to open the Control Panel on Windows 11
- Access and use emojis in Windows 11
- How to change your PC or laptop name in Windows 11
- How to change your hosts file on Windows 11