If your device is equipped with Windows 11 S mode, you will find that installing applications is quite limited. If the app you’re trying to use isn’t from the Microsoft Store, you’re out of luck. Because of this, many people choose to change their version to avoid this problem.
And that’s exactly what we’ll show you. How to switch out of S mode in Windows 11 and allow the installation of non-Microsoft apps.
What is S mode in Windows 11 and why should it be used?
Once enabled, S mode does not allow users to install third-party programs outside of the Microsoft Store. If you want to install apps or software, you can only do so through the Microsoft App Store. Of course, there are many applications available in the Microsoft Store, but there are still many popular and widely used software that are not available in the Microsoft Store.
In this case, you cannot install software outside of the Microsoft Store. In some cases, you may want to download and install software using EXE or MSI files. This is not possible in Windows 11 S mode.
Benefits of Windows 11 S mode
While Windows 11 S mode limits the types of applications that can be run on it, it has several advantages. It’s very quick, no matter how many applications are installed, it only takes a few seconds to start.
Not allowing users to install software from almost anywhere adds an extra layer of security. All applications and games available from Microsoft are manually reviewed by the team before being made available to users. These specifications make Windows 11 S mode very suitable for use in educational institutions.
If you are looking for a device that meets all of your schoolwork needs and is free of malware, then Windows 11 in S mode is an excellent operating system. The Windows Store has many free and paid applications that can be used to improve work efficiency.
How to switch out of S mode in Windows 11
Now that you have learned all about S mode in Windows 11, if you want to turn it off all the time, follow the steps below.
Note: You have to be careful as disabling S mode is a one-sided decision. If you choose to approve it, you will not be able to go back to Windows 11 in S mode.
Method 1. Use Settings to disable S mode in Windows 11
- Look for in the start menu the settings and open it. Or press the Windows + me Key combination to open the settings of your PC.
- Then tap Privacy & security.
- Then tap activation from the left side area.
- Now you will see the Switch to Windows 11 Home or Switch to Windows 11 Pro section. This depends on the version of Windows used.
- Here tap on Go to the store. Note that you don’t click the Go to Store option under the Update your Windows edition. That’s another process that keeps you in S mode.
- After this Switch out of S mode Page in the Microsoft Store. Just tap that receive Button. You will be asked to confirm this. Confirm it and you will turn off S mode in Windows 11.
By following the steps above, you will now be able to install apps from outside the Microsoft Store. But if, like most people, you encounter any type of error, follow the next section of our post.
Fix: Cannot turn off S mode in Windows 11
It has been reported that when trying to download Switch from S mode from the App Store, an error message appears on the screen that says: Please try again later, something went wrong with us. If the same thing happened to you after following the steps above, then you can move on to the next solution to reset Microsoft Store. Follow the steps below:
- First, look for the settings in the start menu and open it, or use the Windows + me Shortcut to start the settings of your PC.
- Go to Go Apps: navigate to Apps & functions and look for the Microsoft Store App and tap on it.
- Then choose Expanded options, and Find the Reset to default Button and tap on it.
- When the process is complete, start your Windows 11 PC or laptop with the using Start menu and follow the steps again to exit S mode using the steps from Method 1.
After turning off S mode on your Windows 11 device, you can use any web browser and download any applications that are not in the Microsoft Store. However, you should think twice before making this decision because S mode is designed to give you faster startup time, longer battery life, and more security.
How do I activate S mode in Windows 11?
There is no way to re-enable S mode. Once deactivated, you can no longer activate it. So only disable it if you think you want to remove all restrictions. If you update your version of Windows without exiting S mode, your device will stay in S mode.
For added security, it is recommended that you keep your device in S mode, especially for families with children. However, if you want to use your PC without any restrictions, you can use the computer freely by disabling S mode.
How to switch out of S mode on a Windows 11 PC or laptop. Remember, you can do the same steps in Windows 10 as well. S mode was introduced in Windows 10, and the same features apply to Windows 11. If you want to download and install programs from third-party sources, you’ll need to turn S mode off. Also, make sure that you have antivirus software installed on your computer to prevent it from getting infected with viruses.
- How to start Windows 11 in Safe Mode
- How to make a user an administrator on Windows 11
- How to create a Windows 11 virtual machine on VMware with TPM and Secure Boot support