Many reasons require that you understand some basic networking terminology when setting up network devices on a Windows 11 PC. MAC, IP address and DNS address are some of the most commonly used terms. Knowing the details can help you set up a new router or troubleshoot network problems. So, in this guide, I’ll show you How to check or find your IP address on a Windows 11 PC and laptop with 7 simple methods. But first, let’s get to know IP addresses and their types.
What is an IP address?
An Internet Protocol (IP) address is the address of your network hardware. This helps connect your computer to the network and other devices in the world. IP addresses are made up of numbers or characters.
However, all devices connected to an Internet connection have a unique IP address, which means billions of IP addresses are required. The new IP upgrade IPv6 fulfills this criterion.
There are two versions of IP, IPv4 and IPv6. IPv4 is an older version with over 4 billion IP addresses. Still, newer versions of IPv6 can provide up to trillions of IP addresses to meet the needs of all Internet users and devices.
Meanwhile, the IPv4 version has been used to create numeric IP addresses (numbers) that could potentially conflict with other IP addresses. Therefore, IPv6 introduced the hexadecimal method to provide unique IP addresses to billions of users around the world.
Types of IP addresses
There are different types of IP addresses, such as private IP addresses, public IP addresses, static IP addresses, and dynamic IP addresses.
Private IP address
A private IP address is the address of a device that is connected to a home or office network. If you have several different devices connected to an ISP (Internet Service Provider), all of your devices will have a unique private IP address. This IP address cannot be accessed by devices outside of your home or company network. Dedicated IP addresses are nothing special as the number of devices on the network is limited.
Public IP address
Your public IP address is the main IP address that your home or business network connects to. This IP address connects you to the world and is unique to all users.
Static and dynamic IP addresses
Public and private IP addresses can be static or dynamic. The IP address that you manually configure and patch on the device network is known as the static IP address. Static IP addresses cannot be changed automatically.
When you configure a router on the Internet, the dynamic IP address is automatically configured and an IP is assigned to your network. This IP address assignment is handled by the Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP). DHCP can be your Internet router assigning IP addresses to your home or business network.
7 Quick Ways to Find Your IP Address on a Windows 11 PC and Laptop
After you know everything about IP addresses, here are seven different ways to find your IP addresses on your Windows 11 computer. Follow each step carefully.
Method 1. Find the IP address in Windows 11 using the taskbar
The easiest way to find your IP address in Windows 11 is to look it up in System Preferences.
- First, tap on the WiFi or Ethernet adapter icon in the right corner of the system tray to go to the Action Center.
- Then tap the arrow button next to the WiFi or Ethernet icon.
- Then select your connection and tap the ‘properties‘Icon (that’s an’ i ‘in a circle) or you can right click on your connection and the’properties‘ Possibility.
- Finally scroll down and you will find your IPv4 and IPv6 addresses. That’s it!
This page shows other TCP / IP address information for your network adapter, including DNS settings, IPv4 and IPv6 addresses, MAC address, manufacturer, link speed information, link-local IPv6 address, and driver version.
Method 2. Find the IP address on Windows 11 using the Settings app
- Find Settings in the Start menu and open it or just press Windows + I.
- Click on Network & Internet.
- Select Wi-Fi from the left menu or Ethernet if you are connected via LAN).
- Select WiFi, if you are using WiFi, click Hardware Properties.
- Your system’s IP address is displayed next to the IPv4 label.
Method 3. Find your IP address on a Windows 11 PC using Task Manager
- To find your IP address in Task Manager, right click the Windows Start button in the system tray and select ‘Task manager ‘ to open the Task Manager.
- Next, select the ‘performance‘and tap your network (WiFi if you are connected to WiFi) in the left pane.
- Now you can see your local IPv4 and IPv6 addresses in the right pane.
Method 4. Find the IP address in Windows 11 in the System Information app
The Windows System Information Tool collects and displays all important detailed information about the operating system, hardware and software environment of your computer system. You can also use the System Information Tool to check your IP address.
- To start, look for ‘System information‘in the Windows search bar and click on the search result.
- In the System Information window, go to in the left pane Components> Network> Adapter.
- Scroll down in the right pane, you will find your IP address next to the field called ‘IP address’. If your computer has a dual-stack IP configuration, both IPv4 and IPv6 will appear next to the IP Address field.
Note: When an adapter is disconnected, it shows its IP address as “Not Available”.
Method 5. Find your IP address on a Windows 11 PC through the Control Panel
Another easy way to find public and private IP addresses in Windows 11 is to use the “Network and Sharing Center” in the Control Panel. This method can also be used for all other versions of Windows to find the IP address.
- To find your IP using the Control Panel, search for ‘Switchboard‘in Windows search and open it.
- Then tap the ‘Show network status and tasks’ Link under the ‘Network and Internet ‘ Category in the control panel.
- Then tap Your network name next to “Connections” in the Network and Sharing Center window.
- No, you will see a network status dialog box. Click the button ‘details‘Button.
- This opens the Network Connection Details dialog. Here you will find your private IPv4 and IPv6 addresses as well as all other network connection details. If you are looking for your public IP address, this information will be displayed next to “Temporary IPv6 Address”.
This is also where you will find the ‘Default Gateway’ address, which is the address of your router.
Method 6. Find the IP address in Windows 11 using the command prompt
- To find your IP address from Command Prompt, open Command Prompt by going to the Run (Windows + R), enter ‘cmd‘and press Enter.
- Next, enter ipconfig in the command prompt and press Enter.
- If you are now connected to a WiFi connection, you will see your IP address in the ‘WLAN adapter WLAN‘Section. Or, if you have an ethernet connection, your address will be in the ‘Ethernet adapter ‘ Section.
Tip: If you want to see all the details of your network adapter, enter ipconfig / all Command.
Method 7. Check your IP address in Windows 11 with the browser
Here are two ways you can use your internet connection to look up and find your IP address.
1. About Google: This method is the easiest way to find your computer’s IP address. You need to search for “What’s my IP address” on a search engine like Google, Bing, etc. Your IP address is shown at the beginning.
2. Via websites: In addition to searching Google or Bing, there are several websites that you can use to find your IP addresses (IPv4 and IPv6). Some of these websites are whatismyipaddress.com and whatismyip.com.
That’s it! These are seven quick and easy methods you can use to check or find your IP address on a Windows 11 PC or laptop. Below are the six methods
- Use the system tray
- Use the Settings app
- Using the Task Manager
- Using the Control Panel
- Use the System Information app
- Use the command prompt
- Use of the browser
Hope you found this article helpful. If you have any questions, please let Techschumz know in the comments below. Good luck!
- How to switch out of S mode in Windows 11
- How to make a user an administrator on Windows 11
- How to Start Windows 11 in Safe Mode with 7 Easy Methods