Windows 11 is the latest operating system from Microsoft. If you want to try Windows 11, you can simply install it by pasting Windows 11 ISO on a bootable USB stick. In this guide you will learn Here’s how to easily create a bootable Windows 11 USB on Ubuntu Linux using the WoeUSB software.
Although it was officially announced that Windows 11 would be the successor to Windows 10 on June 24th, somehow its preview ISO copy was installed prior to the announcement on the internet. Therefore, many citizens have already experienced it. The most important thing that is obviously new for everyone is the redesigned interface of Windows 11.
Connected: How to create a bootable USB drive for Windows 11 using CMD
What’s new in Windows 11?
Microsoft has given up the traditional start menu on the far left and has now replaced it with a small one in the middle. In addition, the Start menu window that appears in Windows 11 has been changed with a new set of icons, a smooth surface, and curved window edges, making for a refreshing experience. The program is pinned at the top of the start menu, the user can find the file last accessed and the control for shutting down the system is also there.
The Windows search is checked and works via the magnifying glass icon in the taskbar. The quick search term and the last list of search terms are intended to simplify and accelerate the retrieval of the user. The practical features that must be included in Windows 11 are new window controls. Unlike in the past, the window can not only maximize or minimize, but also position it in the corner of the screen. This time it shows the standard design compared to Windows 10.
System requirements for Windows 11
- 64-bit processor with 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster with 2 or more cores
- Memory 4 GB RAM
- Storage 64 GB or larger storage device
- System firmware UEFI, Secure Boot capable (some are successful on old machines via WinPE).
- TPM Trusted Platform Module (TPM) Version 2.0
- Minimum system requirements
- Graphics card DirectX 12 compatible graphics card / WDDM 2.x
- Display> 9 ″ with HD resolution (720p)
- Internet connection
If you’ve already received the Windows 11 ISO file, follow these simple steps to create a bootable USB flash drive.
Steps to create a bootable Windows 11 USB using WoeUSB on Ubuntu
Below are the steps to create a bootable USB for Windows 11 on your Ubuntu computer using the WoeUSB application. First, let’s know how to install this app on our Linux system.
Step 1. Download and install WoeUSB in Ubuntu
WoeUSB is a free and open source Microsoft Windows USB installation media preparer for GNU + Linux.
You can install the tool from the PPA repository for all current versions of Ubuntu including Ubuntu 18.04, Ubuntu 20.04, Ubuntu 21.04, and then do the following:
- First open the terminal from the system app launcher.
- Next, run the following command to add the PPA. Enter the user password without asterisk feedback when prompted and press Enter.
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:tomtomtom/woeusb
- Finally, install WoeUSB using the following command:
sudo apt install woeusb woeusb-frontend-wxgtk
Note: for Ubuntu 18.04, Linux Mint, you need to run
sudo apt update Command to refresh the package cache first.
Step 2. Burn Windows 11 ISO image
- First, plug in your USB drive and open WoeUSB from the system app launcher.
- After opening, select ‘From a disk image (iso)‘and select your ISO image. Then highlight the USB device from ‘Target Device’. Finally, tap on the ‘Install button.
- Remember dismantle the USB or an error dialog is displayed. To disconnect the USB stick, open the hard drives usefulness.
- Now select your device in left panel and tap the square icon to undeploy.
- In the end, Go back to WoeUSB, click Update and choose that USB device. After tapping the To install Button, it will start to format USB and burn Windows 11 to it.
That’s it! So you can easily create a bootable Windows 11 USB under Ubuntu Linux with the WoeUSB app. After you’ve created a USB installer, just plug it into your computer, restart your computer, and the installation process will start automatically. Just follow the process and enjoy Windows 11 on your PC and laptop. Good luck!
- How to install Windows 11 on M1 Macs with a virtual machine
- How to Enable & Disable Dark Mode on Windows 11 PC & Laptop
- How to add and remove widgets in the system tray on Windows 11
- How to share your screen on Windows 11