Download Termux for PCHere I share the complete process to download, install and use this free Linux terminal app on mac and windows.
Termux is an open source terminal emulator that runs on Android devices. You can use Termux with your package manager to install and run multiple control line applications.
|Updated||30 January 2022|
|Requirements||Windows 7, 8 or 10|
Termux PC and the mobile app also works as a kind of small Linux operating system that includes several tools and utilities that are normally found in Linux distributions on your desktop, updated on September 29, 2020.
Installing and using Termux on Android or PC does not require root access. You can even use a lightweight desktop GUI without hardware acceleration.
Although on small touch devices, it can be slow and not usable accurately. For developers and other users who want to access CLI Linux Android applications, Termux is quite popular.
It’s the closest thing to an Android Linux operating system, and its touch UI designed for small-screen devices makes it easy to use.
It also offers auto-completion using the action key on the top row of the on-screen keyboard with additional keyboard actions that make it easy to enter symbols.
Once you have installed Termux on your mobile device or PC, it is essentially your Android smartphone (Linux-based) with a remote Linux system.
You can use the most common terminal programs you know or become familiar with them now that you have them on your phone.
Especially the Termux interface has Ctrl, Alt, Esc and arrow software buttons, which make it easy to enter keystroke connections on a virtual keyboard.
I like a Bluetooth keyboard on long trips to use Termux on my desk or laptop as easily as a terminal.
Download Termux for PC (Free) → Method 1
Now, to install this free Linux terminal app on our PC, we need to use Android emulator because there is no official version available on Windows or Mac Store.
Follow the step by step process to install Termux on our Windows computer or PC.
- First, we need an android emulator, you can use any of its options, but here I am going to use bluestacks.
- Download the emulator from the official website, install it on your PC and complete the Google login process.
- Next, open the Play Store app and search for the Termux app on PC and select the official app.
- Click the install button and it will automatically start installing this free Linux terminal app on your emulator.
- Once the application is installed, you can see the Termux icon on your desktop, click on it to launch the application.
- The app screen will look like the screenshot below. But it may be different if you are using a different version.
This was the first method to download Termux for PC. And this is how you can use this free Linux terminal app on your windows.
Now you can operate all Linux mobile commands on your Windows PC or Mac with this app.
Here I have covered some frequently asked questions that can help you download or use Termux on your PC.
This app provides Linux environments on your Android phone without root or any settings.
There is no official version of this free Linux terminal app available on Windows or Mac app store. But with an Android emulator, we can use this app on our PC.
Yes, this app is legal and safe to use, but make sure you don’t use it for illegal purposes.
For that you need an Android emulator on your PC, in this article I covered the full installation process, check it out for more details.
This app works as an emulator on your phone and uses an OpenSSH connection, so yes, it’s safe to use.
The above FAQs are for those who are looking for quick solutions to their questions about this free Linux terminal app.
How to use Termux on PC? (Windows) → Method 2
You may get an error when downloading the Termux app from the Play Store.
So, in this method, we will use the apk file of this free Linux terminal app and install it on the emulator.
- The first step is to download, install and open the Android emulator and complete all the other steps.
- You can skip the Google login process because we are going to use the Termux apk file to install the app.
- Next, get an apk file, drag and drop the file to the Android emulator to start the installation.
- It will start the installation of Termux on PC when we install the app on our Android devices.
- Once it is installed, you can use this free Linux terminal app on PC as we discussed in our previous method.
Here, make sure to download the Termux apk file from the official website or use it from your mobile device.
Termux PC Application Features
Before you download and use this app, check out our features below for more ideas about this free Linux terminal app.
- Packed with features: take your selection from Bash, fish or Zsh to nano, from Emacs to Vim. Collect your inbox with your SMS. Access the curl API terminals and use Rsync to save backups to a remote server in your contact list.
- Secure: Use OpenSSH SSH Client to access remote servers. The Termux PC and Mobile application is an attractive open source solution that combines standard packages with precise terminal emulation.
- It can be adjusted: install what you want through the APT package management system available from Debian and Ubuntu GNU/Linux. Why not start the Git install and dotfile sync?
- Explorable: Have you ever sat on a bus and wondered what arguments tar would accept. Termux packages are the same as for Mac and Linux: install and study the man pages in one session while experimenting with them in another session on your phone.
- Batteries included: Updated versions of Pearl, Python, Ruby, and Node.js are available. They are all available when you use Termux on PC.
- Now we know that termux is an emulator for the Linux terminal. That’s true to a certain extent and also a bit of misinformation from time to time.
- Termux is not a standalone hacking application. As we said, it is software with instructions and scripts.
- There are various tools for penetration testing on different Linux distributions like Kali, Parrot OS available in Termux PC app.
Most of them operate through the terminal and are based on CLI. We can also install several more tools and run other Pentesting scripts.
Also check out the process of installing Podcast Addict, Shazam and SmartNews apps on PC that we have covered in our previous articles.
Here we have covered the complete step by step process to download Termux for PC and use it on our Windows and Mac laptops.
If you like installing this free Linux terminal app on your PC, please let me know in the comment box. I will help you solve it.